A martial arts school located in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, the Waterloo Kung-Fu Academy (WKFA) benefits the body, mind and spirit through the instruction of the martial art of Shaolin Five Animal Kung-fu. Since 1987, we have been helping both adults and children reach their full potential in kung-fu, giving them a model for success in life.
Inside Our Academy
We have experienced amazing results with thousands of students of all ages. The success we have enjoyed is based on the way we approach both the students and the classes. Here are some of our unique advantages:
- High instructor-to-student ratio - We consistently surpass the recommended ratio.
- Experience - Assistant Instructors have a minimum of 2-to-3-years study. Black sash instructors have at least 10-years experience.
- Individual attention - Students are treated on a personal basis throughout their training.
- Positive environment - Dedicated and helpful students and instructors.
- Age-specific programmes - For appropriate techniques, concepts, safety and enjoyment.
- Practical self-defence - All physical techniques taught are sensible, and an understanding of the psychological and ethical aspects is stressed.
Kung-fu benefits the whole person...
- Strength - Muscular power and control.
- Suppleness - Flexibility and optimal range of motion.
- Stamina - Aerobic and anaerobic capacity.
- Sensitivity - Balance, rhythm, timing, reflex speed, grace and co-ordination.
- Concentration - To help at work or school.
- Relaxation - Decreased stress.
- Self-Confidence - Increased self-esteem.
- Perseverance - Achieve goals and overcome obstacles.
- Empowerment - A feeling of well-being, knowing you can protect yourself and your loved ones.
Ancient Answers to Modern Needs
Throughout their long history, the Chinese have sought to develop a healthy body, mind and spirit. From this quest, and the need for an efficient method of self-defense, the martial art of Kung-fu emerged. Over its 4,000 year history, Kung-fu has evolved into a holistic martial arts system, encompassing physical methods of self-defense, methods of meditation, health practices and a vehicle for the training and liberation of the human spirit.
Today, more and more people in the West are looking for something more than the body-image emphasis found in gym-based regimes and are recognizing the wisdom of these ancient martial arts practices.
Learn more about Our Academy.