Adult Student’s Corner
by Sifu Mark Jolley
How much do you know about the Waterloo Kung-Fu Academy? In this article, I thought we could visit some trivia to get new students better acquainted with the school and as a review for longer term students. Some of the answers (in Food For Thought) might seem easy, others hopefully will make you think.
- What form was developed for a movie, and then was put into the school curriculum?
- In the movie above, what 3 WKFA members were in the movie?
- What form used to be in the adult program, but was moved only to the Junior/Youth program. (Hint it was moved to make room for the form in question 1.)
- When bowing, what do the hands formation symbolize? (When you signed up, Sigung gave you a handout with this information in it.)
- What are the five animals we study at WKFA? What does each one represent?
- How far apart width wise should your feet be in a forward stance?
- If Sifu means teacher, what does Sigung and Sibok translate to?
- How many breathes are in the breathing form?
- How many steps are there in the Single Step Form?
- What part of the foot do you strike with for a sidekick? Is the foot pointed or flexed?
- What is the height of the punches in four count punching?
- In a side kick, how many parts are in the kick?
- In self defense, what is a continuum of response?
- What is the name of the statue by the heavy bags?
- What does the statue represent?
- What are the heads at the back of the Kwoon called? What are they for?
- What does Kung-Fu mean?
- What does Shaolin mean?
- Bonus question: What is the favourite weapon of: Sigung? Sibok Lloyd? Sibok Eric?
If you are stuck on any questions, don’t be afraid to ask any instructor, leadership team member, or other students. Good luck!